Retinol – the skincare industry’s golden ingredient. But what makes retinol such an important ingredient in your beauty and skincare products? Before we delve into the myriad of benefits that retinol can provide your skin, let’s first understand what ‘Retinol’ actually is.
In simple terms, ‘Retinol’ is a classy name for Vitamin A in its pure form, also commonly referred to as retinoid or retin-A. There are many synthetic (prescription) and natural forms for retinoid and we’ll be discussing the natural alternatives available along with their benefits later in this article. There’s a common misconception that retinol and retinoid are the same, but here’s the difference. While retinol can be purchased over the counter, retinoid can only be bought with a prescription under the names retinoic acid and tretinoin.
What this ingredient can do for your skin is a lot more complex; so let’s take a look at the many benefits of retinol for your skin:
• Works on a molecular level to normalise cell turnover thus helping target stubborn cystic acne and reduce breakouts caused by acne
• Helps prevent dead skin cells from clogging the pores, thus making it easier for other treatment creams to work better
• Helps improve the appearance of the skin’s texture and wrinkles by boosting the collagen in your skin
• Helps treat hyperpigmentation by fading age and sun spots
• Helps to restore an even skin tone, giving it a rosy appearance
• Helps to treat psoriasis by slowing the growth of skin cells and providing relief
• Also known to treat and prevent warts by disrupting the wart’s cell growth
For natural alternatives to retinol, here’s a list of carotenoid-rich (Vitamin A) oils and their benefits.
• Carrot Seed Oil is the essential oil extract from the seed of the carrot plant (Daucus carota). Well known for their carotenoid content with beta-carotene as a powerful antioxidant, carrots make a natural addition to any anti-ageing skincare product. The moisturising (Vitamin E) and protective (Vitamin C) properties of carrot seed oil work together to rejuvenate the look and feel of your skin, while its skin healing properties help soothe sunburns, restore damaged skin cells and promote cell renewal. Carrot seed oil also helps to naturally regulate the skin’s sebum production, making it suitable for all skin types.
• Rosehip Seed Oil is the essential oil extract from a small bright-red berry-like seedpod of two types of wild roses (Rosa moschata or Rosa rubiginosa). The key bioactive component of rosehip seed oil is all-trans retinoic acid, a natural foundation to Vitamin A. The high amounts of tretinoin in rosehip seed oil helps to restore scarred and depleted tissue, and reduce the appearance and formation of scarring caused by acne. Rosehip seed oil is a dry oil packed with antioxidants, essential fatty acids (Omegas 3 & 6) and beta-carotene (pro-Vitamin A), making it a great moisturiser that’s not only good for all skin types, but also for those with dry or rosacea-prone skin types.
• Sea Buckthorn Oil is extracted from the fleshy fruit or seeds of sea buckthorn berries. Sea buckthorn oil is very nutrient-rich packed with nutrients like beta-carotene, linoleic acid, lycopene, and Vitamin E. The Vitamin E rich properties in this oil help to moisturise the skin, reduce discolouration, fade acne scars and blemishes, and fight against skin ageing stressors like UV exposure. While beta-carotene helps to give the skin a gorgeous golden glow, the fatty acids help to lock in moisture, nourish the skin cells by forming a protective barrier over them.
ISUN’s vegan-friendly signature facial oil moisturisers are created to work in harmony with your skin to help minimise visible signs of ageing. All our facial oils offer maximum levels of antioxidants and other nutrients essential for skin health and transformation. The blend in the base oils and essential oils specific for individual skin types is what makes these oils different from each other. Intense Ultra Restore is suitable for dry skin; Ultra Restore for normal and combination skin, Ultra Sapphire for sensitive skin and Revitalize facial oil is suitable for all skin types, especially those sensitive to essential oils. So, indulge in these blends of pure, vibrantly alive organic oils infused with herbs and combined with high levels of vitamin C, carotenoids and other antioxidants for a radiant and youthful glowing skin.